Tuesday, May 15, 2012

And I'll Keep Going

I have now survived two full weeks of my internship.  Living in Elk Creek and working in Louisville (there Christi- I fixed it! I now understand that I'm NOT living in Louisville!) has been great so far.

I have been really blessed during my time here. My first week here I met Kelsey, she graduated from CCU a couple of years ago and has worked in the office for just about a month.  She invited me to go to a small group though Southeast Christian with her.  So on my second day in town I got to meet about 30 other men and women in their 20's.  It was great to meet so many people my age so quickly and it has been fun to get to know the people in the group and study scripture with them.  Tonight we are going to be volunteering as a group at a group home for adolescent girls. I'm excited for that :)

One of my biggest blessings here is my host family and the home I am staying in.  I met the Baunach family when they hosted two other girls and myself in January when we were here for a week for internship training.  They have a basement apartment that was once used by Christi's parents. They now use that space to host missionary interns like myself.  I have my own bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room. Tom and Christi and their three children- Rachel, Joshua, and Seth are generously letting me stay in their beautiful home out in the country.  They have a lot of land and a pond in the back yard. They also have a sweet, excited dog (named Abby) and two cats.  They are doing so much to help me feel welcome and I have really enjoyed getting to know them.  I have had many late night conversations with Christi, I got to go to Seth's school program last week, and I even got to go shopping and to the library with Rachel.  Tom has been so helpful (he had to clean up some water that seeped into my basement bedroom and even helped me out with my laundry!) And Joshua is my tech guy that helped me get my computer set up.  It has been great to spend time with all of them!

This week my friend Cynthia is at Team Expansion doing some training so she will be staying with me for a few days.  I met her last week when she was in town and her, another college student (Peter), and I did some missions training together.  I got to spend a lot of time with Cynthia and Peter last week and we had some great conversations.  I was excited that Cynthia decided to come back this week.  Last night we went grocery shopping, had sushi and rice for dinner, and chatted all night. This morning we got up early (luckily she is a morning person) and took a walk around the neighborhood before getting ready for work.  It's nice to be living with another girl my age who is also going into missions. We have a lot to talk about.

Although I do feel blessed by my time here and I am really enjoying my internship, I have had some rough times in the last few weeks.  Satan is attacking me and making me feel worthless, and sometimes I am really falling for it.  Starting a new job and thinking about opportunities for the future is so exciting! I really see how God is working in my life and Satan sees it too.  There have been days when it has really been distracting. One hour I'm totally on fire for God and am excited to see how he can use me and the next hour I am thinking there is no way I can possibly be used.  I have also had times of loneliness (although surrounded by people who love me) and feeling like no one is really supporting me and my desire to be a missionary.  But I am daily being reminded that God is so much bigger than all of this doubt and negativity. I hope to continue to overcome these feelings and have confidence in the plans that God has in my life and to be able to see how he is blessing me and helping me grow daily.

Jesus Said: "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the Earth" -Acts 1:8

No comments:

Post a Comment